tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alan Chaney <a...@compulsivecreative.com>
Subject Re: Response time
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:37:29 GMT
I do a lot of downloads of large files (several 10's of MB). Firefox
seems to limit its transfer rate to about 100 kbps (that is, kilobits
per sec). If you are using linux, try doing a 'wget' on the file instead
of using a browser.

300,000 bytes is 2,400,000 bits (approx) so to take 2 minutes = 120 secs
implies a bit rate of 10,000 bits per sec. I don't for a moment believe
that is a limitation of tomcat (I regularly stream continuously 40
MBitsPerSec with hardly any CPU)

Here are various random thoughts:

1. Some kind of timeout (maybe DNS?)

2. Swapping (you say CPU = 100% what about memory usage?)

3. Some kind of lock contention.

HTH