tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Stavrinides <p.stavrini...@albourne.com>
Subject Re: Cookie-less session tracking - whats are the downsides
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 15:28:56 GMT
This topic comes up on the list very frequently, you ask ten developers
this question you may even get eleven opinions. Your answer is it
depends on your use case and security requirements (for example: I may
not care, in a shopping cart application, if I write a product id in the
URL, but I may care about exposing a primary key for a user record in
the URL)... these are subject to your implementation.

I suggest you do a little more reading and understand the history of
cookies and URL rewriting, which may help you to understand why/why
not/when to use them, because this is a highly subjective area, and when
do developers agree about technology anyway! Personally though, I am
prepared to sacrifice some compatibility in favour of security... on the
other hand I also detest the over paranoid.

Peter