tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alan Chaney <a...@compulsivecreative.com>
Subject Re: Permissions of File Created by Tomcat
Date Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:13:13 GMT
This is really a linux permissions issue.

How are you starting tomcat? with the $TOMCAT_HOME/bin/startup.sh or
with jsvc or are you using an ubuntu startup script?

You don't say anything about the user who will run the java application.

Generally, the way to control the access permissions with which files
are created in linux is to call 'umask' with the correct parameters. As
mentioned before on this list umask is a shell command, so you must do
it at the correct point or severely weaken the overall security of your
installation.

You need to do the following:

1. decide which user or users will be executing tomcat and the java
application.
2. If you decide that you need to have two separate users, then make
them both in the same group.
3. Use umask in the tomcat startup script and/or the shell in which you
run your application to set appropriate access permissions - GIYF

As an aside, if you are going to have two different processes writing
these shared files you may also have to consider locking issues - maybe
you have already done this.

Regards

Alan Chaney