tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Is Connection Pooling still necessary?
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:08:48 GMT
Pooling still makes sense although in modern servlet containers it's
provided.  Outside the JVM, there's the overhead of making the
connection and authenticating that can eat up significant amounts of
time in busy sites with large numbers of queries to the db.  Those costs
are completely outside the JVM and would occur in stuff built with any
of the other languages.

Overall, do some performance testing on your webapp.  If it's need of a
database is so low that connections timeout and get recycled between
borrows from the pool, you probably could get away with out the pooling.

--David