tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: System requirements for running Apache Tomcat on Windows Box
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2008 16:10:14 GMT
Susan G. Conger wrote:
> I am trying to put together some system requires for running Apache HTTP
> Server and Tomcat on windows machines.  I have looked all over but I can't
> seem to find a minimum system specification for windows.  I want to run
> tomcat 6.0 and I need CPU, Hard Drive Space, Memory and anything else that
> will tell the customer what the need.  I would like to know the minimum,
> medium, ideal system specifications for windows.  If anyone know where I can
> find this information or has these specs please let me know.

As others have said, the requirements for Tomcat itself are pretty
minimal; anything that will run windows effectively will handle tomcat
itself ok.   Your application, OTOH may need much more capacity.  If you
tell us a little more about what your app is doing, how many
simultaneous users, etc, we'll be able to give more accurate suggestions.

As an example, I have an app that takes continuous data feeds from about
330 locations around the country, totaling around 2.5M lines and 210 MB
of data per day.  It runs on a dual-core dual processor Xeon with 2GB
RAM running Windows server 2003, Tomcat 5.5 and Java 1.5, and very
rarely rises above 2% CPU usage or 600MB memory usage.  So obviously I'm
over-spec'd with this machine.