tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alan Chaney <a...@compulsivecreative.com>
Subject Re: Threads
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 17:05:46 GMT
Actually another question is what is it in your application that NEEDS
2500 threads? What does the application do? Is it 3rd party or in house?

Normally the creation of a thread is considered an expensive operation
and typically one tries to avoid creating new threads all over the
place. Hence thread pools as used by tomcat.

Peter Crowther wrote:
>> From: Stephen Caine [mailto:stephen@commongrnd.com]
>> I have a process that generates hundreds of threads.  Running on Mac
>> OS X 10.5.2 Server, the thread count tops out at approximately 2500.
>> After which, the process is terminated.  The heap size is set to 1
>> gigabyte.  My question is how to increase the capacity of the JVM to
>> handle more threads.  Is the value of 2500 an absolute limit, or can
>> it be modified by setting the thread allocation, increasing heap size
>> or the use of another java option?
>
> I'm not a Mac person, but... does the Mac JVM use native threads?  In which case, the
2500 (plus other threads) could be an OS limit that has changed in 10.5.