tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alan Chaney <a...@compulsivecreative.com>
Subject Re: How can I refresh tomcat in the java code?
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 13:37:36 GMT
.

Hi Guilherme

I can see that English isn't your first language and I have a lot of
respect for anyone who is trying to work on technical things in a
foreign language - I could never do it!

To help our communication I have tried to explain below what I think it
is that you are trying to do. I may have misunderstood what it is that
you are doing so I apologize if what I am saying is wrong.

I've joined this thread a bit late, but looking at the previous emails
it seems to me that your need is that a user should be able to download
a pdf file which has been generated by your server?

This is 'dynamic content'. The server responds to the request for a file
by creating an OutputStream of pdf data

Your use case is that the user clicks on a link in a web page and the
PDF file appears in their browser?

Here's what I would expect the sequence of events to be:

1. The user clicks on the link in the browser. The link has as its href
for example "www.mycompany/xyz.pdf"

2. The browser generates an http GET request with the url
www,mycompany/xzy.pdf and sends it out over the net.

3. Your container detects this request, looks up the appropriate servlet
in its web.xml and calls the HttpServlet 'doGet' method.

4. Your servlet responds to this request and generates the pdf in a
temporary file.

5. You set any response headers that you need to set.

6. You read the temporary file as a byte InputStream and write this to
the servlet OutputStream.

7. The container takes the data from the output stream and transmits
across the wire back to the browser. It inserts any headers you have
specified (and a few others) at the beginning.

8. You return from the doGet.

That's it. Done!

So the stream of data which is returned as the response to .../xyz.pdf
IS the data you want displayed. You don't need to send a redirect to
xyz.pdf because you have already responded to the request.

The exact point at which the container (Tomcat) starts to transmit data
is up to the container. You can force it to send data by issuing a
'flush'. However, once it has started to respond to the specific request
you cannot issue things like a redirect. I'm simplifying a bit here.

Looking at your code there doesn't appear to be the doGet method - I
assumed initially that you were calling your class from within the doGet
of a servlet. Is this the case?

Have you checked the tomcat logs? I would have expected the server to
have thrown an exception when you attempted to send a redirect after you
have already written data.