tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: An error occurred at line: -1, Unable to compile class for JSP(Netware)
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:33:40 GMT
It's a known bug, which has beend discussed on the developers list only
very recently. See

http://marc.info/?t=120667098200003&r=1&w=2

Your workaround (using ant 1.5) seems fine. The final solution is still
pending, but it's quite possible, that Mark does a fix for the future
4.1.38. This still needs some clarification though.

Regards,

Rainer

Howard Watson schrieb:
> This is an upgrade from Apache2.0.59/Tomcat4.1.31/mod_jk 1.2.15 to Apache2.0.63/Tomcat4.1.37/mod_jk
1.2.36 on Netware 6.5 sp7. Except for JSP compiles, everything including HTML, servlets and
precompiled JSPs works.

> Ant.jar is there in CATALINA_HOME\common\lib. The problem is with Ant v1.7 introduced
in Tomcat4.1.36. If I use Ant v1.5 from Tomcat4.1.34 all works for me including JSP compiles.
The current functioning environment Apache2.0.63/Tomcat4.1.37/Ant1.5/mod_jk1.2.26. I use configuration
as here: http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-4/archive/v4.0.3/bin/netware/i386/Tomcat-on-NetWare-HowTo.html

> As an experiment:
>
> When using Tomcat4.1.37 and Ant v1.7 without an explicit envset (default) CATALINA_CLASSPATH=$CATALINA_HOME;\common\lib\ant.jar
in Tomcat.conf I get error: [antlib:org.apache.tools.ant] Could not load definitions from
resource org/apache/tools/ant/antlib.xml. It could not be found.

> When using Tomcat4.1.36/.37 and Ant v1.7 with an explicit envset CATALINA_CLASSPATH=$CATALINA_HOME;\common\lib\ant.jar
in Tomcat.conf I get NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tools/ant/launch/AntMain
> Short story:  Ant.jar from Tomcat4.1.34 compiles JSPs in Tomcat4.1.37. Ant.jar included
with Tomcat4.1.37 errors. I saw this with Tomcat4.1.36 also. I am simply copying .conf files
from older Apache/Tomcat to current versions.

> How would I troubleshoot this further?
>
> Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of the company. Employees of Easter Seals-Goodwill Northern Rocky
Mountain are expressly required not to make defamatory statements and not to infringe or authorize
any infringement of copyright or any other legal right by email communications. Any such communication
is contrary to company policy and outside the scope of the employment of the individual concerned.
The company will not accept any liability in respect of such communication, and the employee
responsible will be personally liable for any damages or other liability arising.
> If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing
or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.