tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Howard Watson" <howa...@esgw.org>
Subject An error occurred at line: -1, Unable to compile class for JSP (Netware)
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:29:11 GMT
This is an upgrade from Apache2.0.59/Tomcat4.1.31/mod_jk 1.2.15 to Apache2.0.63/Tomcat4.1.37/mod_jk
1.2.36 on Netware 6.5 sp7. Except for JSP compiles, everything including HTML, servlets and
precompiled JSPs works.

Ant.jar is there in CATALINA_HOME\common\lib. The problem is with Ant v1.7 introduced in Tomcat4.1.36.
If I use Ant v1.5 from Tomcat4.1.34 all works for me including JSP compiles. The current functioning
environment Apache2.0.63/Tomcat4.1.37/Ant1.5/mod_jk1.2.26. I use configuration as here: http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-4/archive/v4.0.3/bin/netware/i386/Tomcat-on-NetWare-HowTo.html

As an experiment:

When using Tomcat4.1.37 and Ant v1.7 without an explicit envset (default) CATALINA_CLASSPATH=$CATALINA_HOME;\common\lib\ant.jar
in Tomcat.conf I get error: [antlib:org.apache.tools.ant] Could not load definitions from
resource org/apache/tools/ant/antlib.xml. It could not be found.

When using Tomcat4.1.36/.37 and Ant v1.7 with an explicit envset CATALINA_CLASSPATH=$CATALINA_HOME;\common\lib\ant.jar
in Tomcat.conf I get NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tools/ant/launch/AntMain
Short story:  Ant.jar from Tomcat4.1.34 compiles JSPs in Tomcat4.1.37. Ant.jar included with
Tomcat4.1.37 errors. I saw this with Tomcat4.1.36 also. I am simply copying .conf files from
older Apache/Tomcat to current versions.

How would I troubleshoot this further?

Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of the company. Employees of Easter Seals-Goodwill Northern Rocky Mountain
are expressly required not to make defamatory statements and not to infringe or authorize
any infringement of copyright or any other legal right by email communications. Any such communication
is contrary to company policy and outside the scope of the employment of the individual concerned.
The company will not accept any liability in respect of such communication, and the employee
responsible will be personally liable for any damages or other liability arising.
If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing
or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Please report any inappropriate or abusive use of this email system to abuse@esgw.org