tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Propes, Barry L " <barry.l.pro...@citi.com>
Subject RE: JNDIRealm - how to display login exceptions/error msg within form-error-page when using Form based authentication?
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2008 16:11:57 GMT
I believe you can only set one standard error page in the XML file, if I'm not mistaken, at
least of the specific web app itself.

But one thing I did was flag for a specific exception to be caught, and if this matched, ran
an out.println series of statements to the browser indicating to the users the problem.

Don't know if anything like that would help you, but that's the way I worked around it...at
first I wrestled with a redirect option, then decided to give up on that, I think because
it was either unpredictable or not altogether entirely accurate (from the exception involved).

-----Original Message-----
From: david.melia [mailto:dave_melia@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 7:26 AM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: JNDIRealm - how to display login exceptions/error msg within
form-error-page when using Form based authentication?

Hi,

I currently have a web application which is secured using standard J2EE
security (i.e. all URL's are secured by a role).

For authentication, I am using the standard tomcat JNDI realm (i.e. 	<Realm
className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm" ...) connecting to an LDAP
directory and this works fine when logging in correctly.

The problem is that if i get an exception from JNDIRealm when logging in
(i.e. a user has been disable or password needs changing) this exception is
printed in the tomcat logs OK but I need to know about this in the error jsp
defined in the web.xml (e.g. <form-error-page>/error.jsp</form-error-page>)
so that I can forward onto a change password page if needed or display an
appropiate error message.  Does anyone know if this is possible?