tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <>
Subject RE: MaxThreads <-> max. users ?
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:31:01 GMT
> From: Stephanie Wullbieter []
> Subject: MaxThreads <-> max. users ?
> Could You please tell me what exact a "request" is?

An HTTP GET, POST, etc., request from a client (usually a browser).
Note that retrieval of a single web page may result in many separate
requests from the client to load images, CSS files, scripts, etc.

> Does it mean that when I have e.g. MaxThreads=20, 100 users
> can use my webapp if only 20 of them at the same time request
> data from the webapp and the others drink coffee?

Yes, with restrictions.  If the client maintains a keep-alive request
and you're using the standard connector, a thread will be tied up for
the duration.  If you use the NIO or APR connectors, the thread will be
released back to the pool in the keep-alive situation.  Take a look at
the table at the bottom of this page:

> Is it the same when i have session based sso login?

Yes; they're independent mechanisms.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

To start a new topic, e-mail: