tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Jacobson" <>
Subject Re: first authentication attempt fails - mysql timeout
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:57:32 GMT
Christopher Schultz  wrote:
> Yes, using DataSourceRealm is the preferred configuration.

Thank you for confirming that :)

> [...] By the way, there's no reason not
> to upgrade to the most recent Connector/J, either.

Sorry..  are you referring to the mysql-connector JAR file?  In my
troubleshooting process I upgraded that to 5.1.6 (i.e.
mysql-connector-java-5.1.6-bin.jar).  Obviously it didn't fix things,
but it didn't seem to hurt either :)

> Yes. You should use the validationQuery attribute on your <Resource>
> element.

Thanks.  After searching Google to find an example (I'm lazy, shoot me!
:-D  ), I added this to my server.xml file.  I also removed the
autoReconnect parameter from the connection URL.  This does appear to
have resolved the issue!

Thanks to you, and to David Smith, for your thoughtful and clear responses!

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message