tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Miehs <and...@2sheds.de>
Subject Tomcat 5.5 and keep-alive and http connector
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 15:26:40 GMT
Dear List,

How does enabling keep-alives effect the number of threads required by
tomcat?

Assuming:
    maxKeepAliveRequest = -1
    1000 online users - each with 2 connections

Does this mean that I will have 2000 threads open - one per connection?
ie: Is the the connection assigned a thread until the connection is
closed?
Or are the connections only assigned to the thread during the request
period?

The only thing I could find related to this was from the Tomcat 6.0
documentation on
http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/http.html

> Each incoming request requires a thread for the duration of that
> request. If more simultaneous requests are received than can be
> handled by the currently available request processing threads,
> additional threads will be created up to the configured maximum (the
> value of the maxThreadsattribute). If still more simultaneous
> requests are received, they are stacked up inside the server socket
> created by the Connector, up to the configured maximum (the value of
> the acceptCount attribute. Any further simultaneous requests will
> receive "connection refused" errors, until resources are available
> to process them.

Although there is no mention here of 'connections' - or is this
specific to the NIO modification for the tomcat 6 connector?

Thanks for any help,

Regards

Andrew