tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <tom...@dbexplorer.com>
Subject Applet version of Tomcat for Web2.0
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:09:50 GMT
Hi,

I don't know if this will be of interest but it is possible to run Tomcat inside a browser
as a "Signed" Java Applet.  The rational as to why on earth you might want to do this is
presented in a short demonstration http://dbexplorer.com/tomcat/ the idea being it being it
would make AJAX applications more interactive and allow web applications to be run offline.

I hope you find this contribution useful. Patching in the required support does not affect
the running of tomcat itself due to the use of a new property "catalina.applet.loader". The
changes required to get logging working where a little messier alas (as you can not change
the LogManager once a process has started) but where not completely beyond the pale.

Let me know if you need any more details or explanation.

Cheers,

John Holdsworth