tomcat-users mailing list archives

From James Ellis <ellisj...@hotmail.com>
Subject mod_jk or mod_proxy_ajp - encryption benefits?
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2008 15:59:41 GMT

I know that mod_jk is the battle tested connector between Apache and Tomcat, but as I understand
it the SSL connection generally terminates at the Apache web server and the traffic between
Apache and Tomcat (to the AJP connector) is unencrypted.  Two questions:

1) Does mod_proxy_ajp provide for any encryption between the web server and the app server
(Tomcat) that mod_jk does not?
2) If the answer to number 1 above is "NO".  Is it possible to keep the server certificates
on the app servers and so that the connection from the client to the app server is encrypted
all the way through?  In this case the apache web server would simply function as a load balancer/failover
solution.

Thanks,
Jim