tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Aseem Rastogi <as...@india.tejasnetworks.com>
Subject Deployment options in an application development environment
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:28:31 GMT
Hi All,

Tomcat version: 5.5.25
OS: RHEL 1
Source code location: projects/src
Compiled code location: projects/build

I am exploring the fastest deployment option when the application is in
development stage. I have my source code in directory mentioned above.
Then I have  written ant script which compiles it in directory mentioned
above and puts required files/libs in locations as required by standard
webapp deployment.

Earlier I used to create war every time and manually copied it in
webapps/ directory. It was getting very slow since I have a lot of
external jars and war file creation is very slow.

Then I read about manager ant tasks to deploy the application and tried
using them.

Now, when I change something in source and compile it, I want it to
reflect in tomcat without undeploying/deploying again. I tried reloading
the webapp using manager ant task but it didn't work. Then I saw that
tomcat actually copied contents of build directory in its webapps/
directory which is probably why reloading doesn't reflect in tomcat.

How can I make sure that new compiled content reflects in tomcat without
undeploying/deploying OR copying build directory in webapps/ directory
manually ?

Thanks for your consideration,

-Aseem.

--
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."  -- Mark
Twain