tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rick Strong <rstr...@panix.com>
Subject Refreshing Tomcat After Replacing Webapp Classes
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2008 22:23:43 GMT
Setup: Tomcat 5.5, server OS is Red Hat; development/client environment
is Eclipse on Mac OS X 10.4.11.

I've been noting that when I make changes to my webapp code and export
the classes to the server, changes take quite a while to take effect.
The amount of refreshing I have to do is more than I would have
expected, and I wonder if I'm missing something. The context is defined
as reloadable=true. Changing servlet code (or any classes it depends on)
doesn't automatically refresh the app. Turning the server off and on
again may or may not work. I have better (but not great) results
deleting the classes to be modified, then starting/stopping, then adding
the modified classes, then starting again. In Eclipse, remote debugging
gets out of sync  - I can see the debugger tracing through phantom lines
of code that were current before the last editing session.

This is making development very slow and frustrating - the steps I have
to go through seem excessive, and I get the feeling that I'm missing
something.

Thanks for any information!

Rick Strong