tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: mod_jk, lb cluster, multiple web servers
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 22:27:08 GMT
Hi Tim,

Tim Alberts schrieb:
> I have 3 physical servers, all 3 running tomcat6 and the 2 web
> applications (one for local, one for www) just fine.  Two of these have
> apache web servers (local and www), both configured and running static
> content by themselves just fine.
>
> Ideally, I want the 3 tomcat6 instances to be a lb cluster for the two
> web servers.  For reasons I don't understand, it isn't working.  The

By cluster here we mean a farm (i.e. multiple nodes carrying the same
apps) but not session replication?

> 'local' web server will mount the lb cluster when I only have one
> tomcat6 instance listed in the cluster.  The 'www' web server won't
> mount the cluster if it's 3 or 1 tomcat6 instance.  It will mount a
> tomcat6 instance without the cluster.
>
> I seem to be lacking some understanding.  Can multiple web servers
> connect to tomcat6 with mod_jk at the same time, or do I need to
> configure additional connectors for each connection?

No, what you are trying to achieve is very normal. The below config
tells us, that the URLs configured in JkMount are send to a load
balancing woker lb, and although you defined three ajp13 workers, the lb
only knows about one of them, "cartman". So lb should send all requests
to cartman.

If you can reproduce your problem with single requests, then you can set
your JkLogLevel to debug, restart the web server and send a single
request. The log file will tell you, what mod_jk configured during
startup, if it found a worker it will send the request to, and what it
got back from the worker. I assume, that you already checked, if you
have error messages in the JK log file?

If you add the other two members to the list of members of lb, can you
see them in the status worker?

Just in case one of the two web servers uses an even more recent version
of mod_jk: we made our vhost handling more strict. JkMounts now have to
be inside the VirtualHost (if you use them) or you must use JkMountCopy
to inherit mounts from the global server to a vhost.

Regards,

Rainer