tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Gordon <adam.gor...@readytalk.com>
Subject Re: encoding - web.xml,struts struts-config.xml
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 16:04:10 GMT
Just a stab in the dark here since I don't know where Polish alphabet
characters lie in the code charts, but you will probably want to use
UTF-8 instead of ISO-8859.  We've had plenty of issues with users
cutting and pasting text from RTF applications (e.g. MS Word) into our
web app's text areas only to see some of the characters not be encoded
correctly.

If you go this route, it's a multi-step process:  you need to set the
form encoding on your HTML forms (acceptCharset="UTF-8"
enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded; charset=UTF-8"), you will
need to set the character encoding in your JSP pages
(<jsp:directive.page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8"
pageEncoding="UTF-8"/>), and most importantly, you need a filter that
sets the character encoding on each request
(http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/Tomcat/UTF-8) *BEFORE* you attempt to
read any parameters.

I don't know what the requirements of your web app will be regarding
text input, but I've discovered that you must always assume that the
user will do something you didn't expect.

I've mucked around with this a bunch in resolving a ton of problems, so
if you need any pointers, feel free to ask away.

--adam