tomcat-users mailing list archives

From James Ellis <ellisj...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat and Apache mod_jk For Failover
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 21:40:18 GMT

Rainer,

Thanks for your feedback:

> Also: if you do clustering, you might be concerned about availability. > The load
balancer itself is a single point of failure, unless you > implement some redunfdancy in
that layer to.

That's another concern I have.  I was thinking of Linux HA - although I have never used it
so I'm hoping its not that difficult to setup/administer.

> Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 22:33:39 +0100> From: rainer.jung@kippdata.de> To: users@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Tomcat and Apache mod_jk For Failover> > Hi James,> > James Ellis
schrieb:> > I am trying to set up a cluster of Tomcat servers where they> > replicate
session btwn the tomcat servers. My questions are:> > > > 1) For failover, if
I am using apache/mod_jk as a load balancer, will> > it automatically detect if one
of the members in the cluster is down> > and not route requests to it?> > Yes,
if the problem is formally detectable, e.g. network problems, no > responses etc. What
problems get detected depends much on configuration. > Have a look at> > http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/generic_howto/timeouts.html>
status via a HTML GUI. See> > http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/status.html>
> > 2) Are there any issues assoicated with SSL and apache as the load> > balancer?>
> Not that I'm aware of, but maybe I don't get the point. Usually you > terminate SSL
on httpd and then simply use AJP13 as a protocol between > mod_jk and Tomcat. More or less
it's the only protocol mod_jk speaks.> > The module then automatically tells Tomcat,
if the original request was > coming in via http or https.> > > 3) Are there performance
gains by using Apache/mod_jk as the load> > balancer, or should I just use another Tomcat
instance and the> > "balancer" web app?> > More often performance is not the key
decision criterion. I assume the > balancer webapp is not really production grade, but
others might correct > me here.> > To choose the right load balancing solution, you
have to decide which > people should administer and troubleshoot it, and which technology
best > fits their skills (network appliances, Apache web server with mod_jk, ...).>