tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Björn Þór Jónsson" <ban...@bthj.is>
Subject mail host name lost when sending mail with Apache Commons Email
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:16:37 GMT
Hi,

I'm having trouble sending mail with Apache Commons Email in Tomcat 6.0.  At
the top of the stack trace the mail server I'm sending to (that is known to
be working ok) is mentioned but further down the trace there are _Caused by_
messages mentioning problems sending to localhost.

It seems like the hostname that I'm setting via Commons Emails's
.setHostName(...)
is getting lost somewhere and javax.mail... falls back to localhost.

This code works fine when run as a JUnit test.

Does anyone have an idea about what may be causing this loss of mail host
name when run with Tomcat?

Here's the stacktrace (actual mail host name replaced with "some.mail.server
")

Cause:
 Sending the email to the following server failed : some.mail.server:25
org.apache.commons.mail.EmailException: Sending the email to the following
server failed : some.mail.server:25
 at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.sendMimeMessage(Email.java:1138)
 at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.send(Email.java:1163)
<snip>
Caused by: javax.mail.SendFailedException: Send failure (
javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: localhost,
port: 25 (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect))
 at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:163)
 at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:48)
 at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.sendMimeMessage(Email.java:1128)
 ... 14 more
Caused by: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host:
localhost, port: 25 (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect)
 at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1282)
 at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SMTPTransport.java:370)
 at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:231)
 at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:85)
 at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:70)
 at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:94)
 ... 16 more
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
 at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.createSocket(SocketFetcher.java:232)
 at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.getSocket(SocketFetcher.java:189)
 at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1250)
 ... 21 more

Thanks for any hints.
/Björn

--