tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: Notification for Tomcat Service failures
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:44:46 GMT
> From: Deepak Philip N. [mailto:DeepakPhilip_N@infosys.com]
> I have Tomcat 5.0 installed. I have two nodes Node1 and Node2
> running as services. I need the system to send me a mail when
> ever any node fails. Please let me know how this can be done.

As "fails" is generally application-dependent, you will need:

- An application-dependent monitoring page in your webapp.  When invoked, it should test everything
that you think means the application is "working" and return a known output if everything
is OK.

- Some suitably stable monitoring platform on which to run your monitor, which should invoke
your monitoring page on each of node1 and node2 and check for the known output that everything
is OK.  This should *not* be "the system".  "The system" can crash, run out of memory or do
a myriad other things such that it has failed and will not send you an email.  It should be
some completely separate computer or - for the really paranoid - set of computers.  Nagios,
for example, will do this.  See the section "Monitoring HTTP" on http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/monitoring-publicservices.html
for details.  There are other apps, Nagios is merely an example.

- Regular emails or other notification that the application *is* working.  If you only get
emailed when the app fails, you never know whether lack of email means everything is OK, or
whether something is so broken it can't even send the email to tell you.

                - Peter