tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <>
Subject RE: Install Tomcat 5.5 & Tomcat 6.0 in the same machine
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:01:40 GMT
> From: Juan Jesús Cremades Monserrat []
> Hi!  I'm Triying install two differens versions of Tomcat in the same
> machine. It's necessay for two projects that I'm developing.
> I've installed successfully the Tomcat 5.5 with Java
> 1.5.0_14, but when I'm
> try install Tomcat 6.0, the Windows Installer give me an
> error related with
> the JVM. The message says: "Failed to install  Tomcat6
> service. Check your
> settings permissions" But I'm the administrator, cos this
> isn't a permission
> problem. Could it be related with the JVM directly? Thanks

More likely it's related to trying to install two Windows services with the same name, and
the second one failing to install because the first one's taken the service name.  Do they
*have* to be Windows services, or could you use the standalone Tomcat package (the zip file)
for one or both?

I routinely develop on Windows with multiple Tomcat versions.  I never install as a service
on my development; I always install using the zip file and start Tomcat using the .bat file,
as it's far easier to debug!

                - Peter

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail: