tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Modha Khammammettu" <MKhammamme...@calcas.com>
Subject RE: Xmx and Xms where are these values set
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:32:13 GMT
I think the tomcat installation was corrupted.
I tried with a fresh install and I can see the heap and other
information just fine.

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 11:11 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Xmx and Xms where are these values set

> From: Modha Khammammettu [mailto:MKhammammettu@calcas.com]
> Subject: RE: Xmx and Xms where are these values set
>
> I did that but it has no effect.

Did you actually click thr apply button, and then stop and restart the
Tomcat service?  Do you have multiple Tomcats installed?  If so, are you
sure you're accessing the right one with tomcat5w.exe?  Note that
changing the .bat files has no effect on any Tomcat service.

> Is tomcat using some default setting to come up with this 1012.625GB,
> where is this value comming from?

Tomcat cannot set any heap size parameters, as these are established
only at JVM startup and cannot be changed while the JVM instance is
running.

This short paper describes how the defaults are calculated in the
absence of a -Xmx setting:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/vm/gc-ergonomics.html

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.