tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Lipscombe <adam.lipsco...@expensys.com>
Subject Sharing session across IE windows
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:32:13 GMT
Folks,

I have a perplexing problem. I don't think its a tomcat issue but maybe someone else has encountered
it?

In my app I spawn a new IE window with window.open(). I want the new window to share the same

session as the parent, because it needs to access some session data.

I find that sometimes the new window shares the session, but sometimes a new session is created.
In
the latter case the session data is not available and the app fails. When a new session is
created,
repeated windows.open() calls that spawn the same child window all seem to re-use this new
session.

I cannot determine what makes the new window session share the session sometimes but not others.
It
seems completely random.

I have a tried couple of things:

1. Giving the window a unique name in the window.open() call like this:
    window.open(url, "W+<%=session.getId()", options);

2. Passing the session ID to window.open) as part of the url like this:
    var myUrl = url + ";JSESSIONID=<%=session.getId()"
    window.open(myUrl ,....)

Neither of these make it work reliably.
My research shows that its probably an IE issue, and the general rule of thumb is not to try
share sessions across multiple windows
(http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-manage-a-session-across-multiple-windows.html)

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

TIA - Adam