tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alan Chaney <a...@compulsivecreative.com>
Subject Re: Apache2 and tomcat5.5
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2008 21:29:45 GMT
If you are running on Linux you may have problems using a 'plain' tomcat
installation pointing at port 80. This is a system port and reserved for
privileged access. You must

1. use some kind of redirection such as iptables and leave the tomcat
mapping at 8080

OR

2 you must run tomcat as root THIS IS VERY BAD DON'T DO THIS

OR

3. use something like jsvc and set the 'user' to tomcat after starting
up as root. jsvc will start as root and bind to the port and then
switch to the non-privileged tomcat user for normal operation.

Regards

Alan Chaney