tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Using mod_jk with other Java programs
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2008 22:54:44 GMT
Hi Daniel,

mod_jk uses a special protocol to talk to the backend server. It's
called AJP13. Several backends implement the protocol, e.g. Tomcat,
Jetty, Glassfish, JBoss, Geronimo (I guess because it includes Tomcat or
Jetty).

If you are looking for a simple solution, you might also just use Apache
2.2 with mod_proxy(_http), so talking HTTP to the backend.

The strengths of mod_jk come into play, if you want to do loadbalancing
and online administration, e.g. when you have a couple of nodes and a
non-trivial topology.

Whatever you combine with mod_rewrite, don't overlook brien's advice
about the P resp. PT flag of RewriteRules.

Regards,

Rainer