tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Stavrinides <p.stavrini...@albourne.com>
Subject Configuring the manager application for Tomcat 6
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:38:55 GMT
Hi all,

This may be a trivial problem for most, but here goes... I am upgrading
my Tomcat 5 server to Tomcat 6, which has gone pretty smoothly except
for one problem with the manager application.

A copy of the manager application is running on my server instance, I am
also using a JDBC realm with basic authentication to authenticate for
the manager application. The caveat is that I require the postgres
driver on my classpath, so I placed it in $CATALINA_BASE/lib but the
manager app  still can't authenticate and I get JDBC related errors in
the logs (it can't find the driver?), but when I place the driver in
$CATALINA_HOME/lib instead everything works.

Ideally I don't want to mix proprietary libraries with the Tomcat
libraries in $CATALINA_HOME/lib, I would like to leave the default
binaries alone to simplify upgrades, everything should be run in my
instance. So I need to find out how to configure the manager application
to look in the correct place for the driver. I realize that there have
been major changes to the classloader, and I have also seen the
documentation for configuring <GlobalNamingResources> and realize this
might be what I need, is it? If so how do I configure a <Resource> for
my JDBC realm and driver. Why is it that placing the library in
$CATALINA_HOME/lib just works? and the manager app knows how to find it
there.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Peter