tomcat-users mailing list archives

From david delbecq <delbd+jaka...@oma.be>
Subject Re: Application Realm in Tomcat
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:23:51 GMT
Hello,

i happened in the past to be coding a specific real that had to provide
extra informations to webapp (like user fullname, email, roles, etc). I
could only do this using the userprincipal (created own subclass then
typcasted it at webapp level).

You simple CAN't query the realm, because the realm is in a different
classloader (server/lib) that is not accessible from webapp classloader.
Your webapp has no way to see the realm.

What you can do, however, is to use the security filter (google for it)
that is a webapp level implemented J2EE security specs implementation.
It run the realms at webapp level (so it's not tomcat anymore that
handle authentifcation) and allows you to cross the line between webapp
and authentification mecanisms.

However, the easiest and cleanest solution would be to just configure
you webapp so it so it knows what db to use :/