tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Inter-context communication
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:06:30 GMT
Klaus Reimer wrote:
> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>
>> not sure why you would need to go down the route of putting everything
>> into a single jar and copy it to lib.
>> as you have it is just fine, except one would question why
>> TestServiceImpl is not in the lib as well, do you need to hot deploy
>> test service impl?
>>

> Yes. And a lot more service implementations. The example setup described
> in my mail is just a simple example (With just a simple test service).
> The whole picture would be a complex backend project which handles
> business logic and persistence and multiple lightweight frontend webs
> using this backend.

it's all doable, but you need to know your way around class loaders.
this might just be overkill in terms of complexity, more likely, you are
creating more problems and bugs for yourself.
> Putting all the backend stuff into a JAR and placing it in the lib
> directory would definitely work but isn't nice for development because
> it does not allow hot deployment. Having just the interfaces and a
> service factory in the lib directory would be better because then
> changes to the backend implementation stuff could be hot-deployed.
> Interface changes still need a redeployment of the interface JAR file
> and a tomcat restart but hopefully the interfaces will not change often.
> (A solution which works without a global interface library would be even
> nicer though...)

Just plug in JMS. That would be the easiest, most implementations, like
ActiveMQ, optimize it by using in-VM transport, removing the overhead of
serialization.
plugging in an external framework would definitely be my personal
recommendation.

Filip