tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Out of Memory Errors when upgrading from 5.0.27 to 6.0.14
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2008 00:22:14 GMT
what's the message after

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

as there can be many different types of errors.

Filip

Dan D. wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm currently working on upgrading our systems from using Tomcat 5.0.27 to 6.0.14.
>
> The upgrades are not being done in place (ie, we will have both systems out there, and
will be doing migrations to the new version).  I have been able to resolve most of the issues
we have run into thus far, however, I am now somewhat stuck, and am hoping someone here may
be able to help.

> About the environment:
> Shared hosting, with approximately 300-600 users on a server, with an average of ~1500
applications (many users have a few applications).  Not all users are utilizing any java at
all, however.  Apache 1.3.33 is running and configured to serve static content.

> The older servers with TC5 on them have ~6GB of available RAM, new servers for TC6 have
8GB of RAM.

> Customer content is stored on a remote NAS server.
>
> While I understand that having the <Host> and <Context> declaration for all
users listed in server.xml, that is how we have it currently configured.

> About the problem:
> When tomcat is started and running on our existing 5.0.27 server, it uses approximately
1GB of RAM, and successfully runs all applications without issue.

> When starting tomcat on the 6.0.14 server with the _exact_ same content, however, it
runs out of heap space.  This is the issue I'm running into right now that I can't seem to
find any answers about.  Attempting to increase the available heap results in an error allocating
memory upon startup.

> The output from jmap seems to show that the majority of the heap/memory is being consumed
by character arrays.

> When viewing the {tomcat.home}/work/{engine}/{application} directory, it appears there
is a fair difference on how these are loaded into tomcat.

> On Tomcat5, this directory consists of only directories that contain a WEB-INF directory
in them, and each of those have a tldCache.ser file.

> On Tomcat6, this directory consists of all directories located inside a directory that
contains a WEB-INF directory.

> For example:
> Tomcat 6:
> [root@servername ]# pwd ; find .
> /web/tomcat/work/hosting/sitename.com
> .
> ./_
> ./cgi
> ./stats
> ./php_uploads
> ./images
> ./ad
> ./Video
> ./Templates
> ./Flv
> ./Songs
> ./newwebsite
> ./old files
> ./manager
>
> Tomcat5:
> [root@servername ]# pwd; find .
> /web/tomcat/work/hosting/sitename.com
> .
> ./_
> ./_/tldCache.ser
>
> And the contents of the actual home directory are:
> [root@servername html]# find . -maxdepth 1 -type d
> .
> ./cgi
> ./stats
> ./php_uploads
> ./WEB-INF
> ./images
> ./ad
> ./Video
> ./Templates
> ./Flv
> ./Songs
> ./newwebsite
> ./old files
>
> I have read http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Memory and attempted all the suggestions
there, to no avail.

> Thus, it appears that on Tomcat6, it is attempting to load all of these paths into memory,
and eventually runs out.  Tomcat5 did not load all of the paths to directories without applications,
and thus uses less of the heap.

> Does it seem like I am on the right track here?  Have others encountered this in the
past?  Is there a way to prevent this behavior within Tomcat 6?