tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Only see html/code
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2008 19:20:00 GMT
Chris Baty wrote:
> Thanks everyone for their patience and support.  I reviewed my overall file structure,
web.xml, and server.xml.  I re-read http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~ryan/tech/tomcat.html which
is an excellent tutorial.  I was missing:
> <Context path="" docBase="/usr/share/tomcat5.5-webapps/cwrecyclers" debug="0" reloadable="true"/>
> in the Host section of server.xml.
>
> I've found that there's a lot of partial or misleading information on the web.

Yeah, that whole 'path=""' is an archaic, mostly deprecated, way of
doing what you were trying to achieve, especially since 5.5 was
released.  Also, that tutorial is for 4.1.24, which is 2 generations
behind 5.5 and 3 generations behind the current stable version.

Renaming 'cwrecyclers.war' to 'ROOT.war' or the directory 'cwrecyclers'
to ROOT, is the current methodology, as the guys were trying to explain,
(case is important).

Would you mind explaining you're reasoning behind your choice of older
solution?  I'm sure we can improve the documentation to guide users int
the right direction.