tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andrei Tchijov <and...@tchijov.com>
Subject Re: Open Source Process
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:35:14 GMT

On Feb 25, 2008, at 15:35 , Uzma Khawaja wrote:

> Hi,
> I am a student and doing a research on open source processes. I
> would be thankful if some one can answer few simple questions to
> help me in my research.
>
> 1. If someone wants to work on a feature or bug, is he/she required
> to get permission before working? Is he/she REQUIRED to join the
> community?

Depend. Any one can submit bug/feature to the project.  Some of these
submissions will end-up in the source code.  To be able actually check-
in your changes you need to be one of "commiters".  You need to be
well known in the community to get to be a "commiter".

> 2. What tools do you use to manage the project (to track the
> progress, assigning tasks, manage the features and bugs, maintaining
> patches etc).

Different open source projects are using different tools. Usually you
can see what tool used by visiting project home page (interesting ...
I have looked at tomcat home page and have not found any references to
tool used by the project. I am positive that at some point in the past
they used to have some. ). Some of popular tools are Maven (http://maven.apache.org/)/Bugzilla(http://www.bugzilla.org/)/Trac

  (http://trac.edgewall.org/) .... Do not forget about web sites like
Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/) and Google Code (http://code.google.com/
) which provide all-in-one support for open source projects.