tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dan D." <...@dubomail.com>
Subject Re: Out of Memory Errors when upgrading from 5.0.27 to 6.0.14
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2008 00:38:16 GMT
It is entirely possible that this environment isn't setup in a optimal way,
and also that I may be messing up some of the proper names.

To provide a real world example (names and paths have been changed, but all
information is the same), here is the Host entry for a domain (same in both
TC5 and 6 currently) that we are using, as well as the work directories for
each:

server.xml entry:
<Host name='www.domain.com'
 debug='0'
 appBase='/home/user/html'
 unpackWARs='true'
 autoDeploy='false'>
 <Alias>domain.com</Alias>
 <Context path='' docBase='' debug='0' reloadable='false'/>
 <Valve  className='org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn'
  debug='0'/>
 <Valve  className='org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve'
  directory='/var/log/user'
  prefix='tomcat_access.'
  suffix='.log'
  pattern='common'
  resolveHosts='false'/>
</Host>

Work directory under Tomcat 5:
[root@javaserver www.domain.com]# pwd; find .
/web/tomcat/work/hosting/www.domain.com
.
./_
./_/tldCache.ser

Work directory under Tomcat 6:
[root@javaserver www.domain.com]# pwd ; find .
/web/tomcat/work/hosting/www.domain.com
.
./_
./stats
./files
./includes
./misc
./modules
./profiles
./scripts
./sites
./themes
./forum
./lists
./members
./staging

As for why the WEB-INF is at the same level as a war file, it is a shared
hosting environment, and that is their document root.  It allows the user to
have an application at http://domain.com as well as upload a war file for
additional applications they wish to run from say, http://domain.com/blog.
It sounds as though this should be done differently?

I'm more or less rebuilding the environment with the upgrade, so any
recommendations are very welcome.

Thanks,
Dan