tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Paul Wallace" <>
Subject RE: appBase
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2008 00:34:50 GMT

Yes, I have had this working previously (TC 5.5 / JDK 1.5 / XP) with the

<Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

<Context path="/"	docBase="../../site" privileged="false"
antiResourceLocking="false" antiJARLocking="false"></Context>

Not using META-INF. This was all in the server.xml.

The logs are not giving me anything, but I can see a stack trace in the
window that disappears in a microsecond. I am using TC 5.5 on Win XP on JDK
1.6.0_04. This no longer works, via a screen grab I can see there seems to
be a reference to the logging API (CLassNotFoundException -
org.apache.commons.logging) but commons-logging-api.jar and log4j-1.2.14.jar
are present in server/lib.

May this be a Tomcat 5.5 on JDK 1.6 problem?

-----Original Message-----
From: Caldarale, Charles R []
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 11:25 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: appBase

> From: Paul Wallace []
> Subject: RE: appBase
> <Host name="localhost" appBase="C:/"
>        unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
>        xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
> and in
> C:\\gs-mydir\site\META-INF\context.xml

The above is incorrect.  The appBase attribute specifies the default
deployment directory for *all* webapps of the <Host>, not the default
webapp for the <Host>.  You need to place your webapp in:

with the META-INF and WEB-INF directories under ROOT.  Note that ROOT is
case sensitive, even on Windows.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

To start a new topic, e-mail: