tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat benchmark
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:05:15 GMT
> From: Andrew Hole [mailto:andremailinglist@gmail.com]
> Is there any benchmark test available that allow me to
> determine the number
> of concurrent requests that Tomcat supports for a particular type of
> hardware?

You already have it: your own Tomcat, your own app, your own mix of requests, and your own
hardware (and your own database server and data if you're using them)!  Apps and request mixes
are so variable that there can be no standard "benchmark"; instead, you'll have to test your
own app using an appropriate stress-testing tool such as JMeter to determine your limits.

Sorry not to be able to point you at a standard, but for a typical webapp Tomcat is only a
few percent of the load.  Any benchmark that omits 90%-95% of the variable isn't useful, in
my opinion.

                - Peter