tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Len Popp" <len.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How can I speed up and reduce load of initialization
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 15:02:45 GMT
On Jan 16, 2008 4:21 AM, Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowther@melandra.com> wrote:
> > From: Gavan Hood [mailto:oohogwash@yahoo.com]
> >   My problem is the initialization.
> >   When I start tomcat it takes about two minutes to complete
> > initialization and pegs my little processor at times, often
> > it keeps it around 80% untilized...
>
> Yeah, that's not good in an embedded device!

Well, that depends on the device. If it's embedded in the Space
Shuttle, countdown takes 2 days so they can probably spare 2 minutes
to boot Tomcat. :-)

Seriously, how big is the Java heap and how much memory does your app
use? It could be spending a lot of time in garbage collection.  If you
can test the app on a "real" computer, try different heap sizes to see
if that makes a difference.
--
Len