tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Socket Exception
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:55:30 GMT
If it happens that often and you don't have a high traffic site, it
might be a monitor script, that does only check if it can do a TCP
connect and drop the connection before a full HTTP request-response
cycle has finished.

Regards,

Rainer

Peter Crowther wrote:
>> From: Nuno Manuel Martins [mailto:nuno.mmartins_externo@sonae.com]
>> Ah... nothing else can be the cause of this?
>
> Anything that can cause a socket connection to fail or close before Tomcat's finished
writing to it.  But the most common cause is the user agent.

>> Asking because these aren't normal users for sure, must be
>> something automated since I'm getting some 50 messages a minute :(
>
> Add an AccessLogValve (if you haven't already) and review your access logs.  Or, if you
don't want to restart your production Tomcat instance, use a network sniffer such as Ethereal
or tcpdump and go hunting for the traffic - you have the remote IP address(es), so you should
be able to filter it reasonably effectively.  Is this coming from one particular IP, or many?