tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Delbecq <delbd+jaka...@oma.be>
Subject Re: server configuration - shared appBase in multiple Host elements
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:43:44 GMT
Hi,

i think there is no big troubles in having multiple host or even
multiple tomcat instances share a common webapp repository, as long as
the webapp are properly coded.

Tomcat will not write to the webapp base, unless you deploy using tomcat
manager. Only exception is when you put a .war there, tomcat will
explode and install it. If multiple tomcat/host are trying to do that at
the same time, you can run into troubles :)

Mind however that those webapp do no try to write in their webapp
directory for whatever reasons. And also, do *not* share the work/
directory, each tomcat should have his own :p

Note that, if you fear it fail, you can still have a stupid dump script
that replicate a central webapp directory to each host's separate webapp
directory.

Here, we have a common webapp shared between 2 host, we simply used a
symbolic link for the webapp on second host (unix environment).