tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Tomcat ajp connections stuck in service mode
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:17:33 GMT
You need to get some Java thread dumps of the JBoss during the time the
problem is visible. The reason for the hanging backend most likely can
be found by investigating the thread dumps.

That's kind of an FAQ answer, you can google for Java thread dump.

Regards,

Rainer

Steve Gaunt wrote:

> Hi Guys
>

> I have tomcat 5.0(shipped as part of jboss 4.02), and this has a static
> web context set up within the tomcat server.xml
>

> <Context docBase='G:/figs' path='/fig'/>
>

> This works fine for long periods, but for some unknown reason, this web
> context mapping seems to get stuck and fail to service all the files
> within the G:/figs folder back to the client.    The web application
> then gets stuck using all the jk connections.  Tomcat still listens to
> requests, but fails to respond and just hangs.  The docbase G:\figs is a
> network mapping to a SAN.
>

> An example of the status( all 400 threads are used by similar URLS - all
> going to the fig web context).
>

> jk-8009
>
> Max threads: 400 Min spare threads: 4 Max spare threads: 50 Current
> thread count: 400 Current thread busy: 400
> Max processing time: 2271757 ms Processing time: 688574 s Request count:
> 2034097 Error count: 104644 Bytes received: 0.00 MB Bytes sent: 46928.70
> MB
>
> Stage
>
> Time
>
> B Sent
>
> B Recv
>
> Client
>
> VHost
>
> Request

> 2476771 ms
>
> 0 KB
>
> 0 KB
>
> 134.245.122.85
>
> www.emeraldinsight.com
>
> GET /fig/1200110401005.png HTTP/1.0

> 2371030 ms
>
> 0 KB
>
> 0 KB
>
> 58.26.136.25
>
> www.emeraldinsight.com
>
> GET /fig/0490300605004.png HTTP/1.1

> 2548157 ms
>
> 0 KB
>
> 0 KB
>
> 130.243.34.101
>
> www.emeraldinsight.com
>
> GET /fig/2380240207002.png HTTP/1.1

> 2507095 ms
>
> 0 KB
>
> 0 KB
>
> 130.37.129.78
>
> www.emeraldinsight.com
>
> GET /fig/1080140108002.png HTTP/1.0
>

> I really do hope someone has encountered something like this before??
>

> Very much appreciated if anyone can shed any light and help.
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Steven Gaunt
>
> Technical Architect
>
> Emerald Group Publishing Limited
>
> Howard House
>
> Wagon Lane
>
> Bingley BD16 1WA
>
> Tel: +44 (0) 1274 785262
>

> sgaunt@emeraldinsight.com <mailto:sgaunt@emeraldinsight.com>
> http://www.emeraldinsight.com <http://www.emeraldinsight.com/>
>

>  Emerald Group Publishing Limited.  40 Years in Publishing 1967 - 2007.
> The world's leading publisher of management journals and databases
>
> VAT number: GB 665 3593 06

> [...]
BD16 1WA United Kingdom. Registered in England No. 3080506, VAT No. GB 665 3593 06