tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>
Subject Re: Xmx and Xms size
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:06:26 GMT
Ah, yes, I addressed only -Xmx.  For -Xms, you could try this.  Throw
a typical load at your app. and monitor it until memory use seems to
be fairly stable.  Round that up to a convenient number and use that
for -Xms.  That way, your app. should not have to ask for more until
the load goes above typical, meaning rarely.

-Xmx is useful mainly to keep your app. from starving other critical
memory users, such as disk I/O, and staving off swapping.  Set it
anywhere from a low multiple of -Xms to as much as you don't want to
reserve for system caches and any other app.s you need to run
regularly.  Again, you either know all about your system and can
calculate this already, or you pick any non-ridiculous number and
measure/adjust until you are satisfied.

Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he
means the exact opposite.