tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alan Chaney <a...@compulsivecreative.com>
Subject Re: AW: Enhancing Tomcat Speed
Date Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:51:59 GMT
Permgen space is used by the ClassLoader to hold copies of classes. It
is unlikely that increasing the permgen space will produce a noticeable
improvement in performance. Versions of tomcat can exhibit problems with
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space failure - there is a good
article here discussing some of the issues.
http://www.jroller.com/agileanswers/entry/preventing_java_s_java_lang

 I had problems with tomcat 5.5 following reloading of web apps which
were largely overcome by increasing the perm gen space and being
prepared to restart the JVM occasionally. So far, I've had no problems
with Tomcat 6, but then I have also changed a number of other factors.
However, I reiterate that this won't affect the performance of a running
application - it will either run or you will get a OOM error.

I still think that it would be helpful for Richard to explain exactly
what aspect of performance he is trying to improve. Deployment? Startup?
Page Response Time? Page Throughput? Memory Footprint?

Regards

Alan Chaney