tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/collections/SequencedHashMap
Date Sun, 02 Dec 2007 17:46:17 GMT
Actually classes in common/lib or common/classes are visible to all
webapps and tomcat internals.

 From your original post, the only
org.apache.commons.collections.SequenceHashMap you had was in the admin
webapp and that's not visible to tomcat internals or any other webapp.
All the other SequenceHashMaps you had listed were in other packages and
didn't match the full package and class name the error referred to.  In
that sense, there are no conflicting versions.

Now given you have commons-collections in the admin app, you probably
can't put that in common/lib as it'll cause problems with the admin
webapp ... if you use it.  If you don't use the admin webapp at all (and
I most certainly don't -- it's not well coded and hasn't been properly
maintained in a long tome), go ahead and drop the package for the admin
webapp and that'll free you to put commons-collections-[version].jar on
common/lib.

I personally recommend you keep as many of the libraries your webapp
needs as possible in it's own WEB-INF/lib directory.  It makes for a
larger .war file, but fewer headaches down the road.  If you use
tomcat's database pooling, the database driver has to be in common/lib
to be visible to both your webapp and tomcat's internal code.  That's
pretty much the only caveat.

--David