tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tom Robinson <...@constantstream.com>
Subject Re: can't undeploy webapp with manager
Date Sun, 02 Dec 2007 14:31:06 GMT

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Tom Robinson [mailto:tom@constantstream.com]
>> Subject: can't undeploy webapp with manager
>>
>> I've pasted my context (ROOT.xml) and server.xml below
>> with a few more comments on various <Host> settings
>
> This is certainly an unusual configuration; whether or not that's
> contributing to the issue isn't clear.

Thanks for taking a look in any case.

> 1) Why do you have an additional <Service> configured?  I can't imagine
> an environment where that's really needed.

I want a separate <Engine>. <Service> is allowed only one.

> 2) The appBase settings for the two <Host> elements overlap - never a
> good thing.  These should be distinct, assuming you really need two
> <Host>s in the first place.
There is a need for more than one virtual host. I didn't understand the
documentation on appBase overlap. I was reading the
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/virtual-hosting-howto.html and saw there
webapps/ren and webapps/stimpy. I take it these don't overlap. But I had webapps
and webapps/project, which do.

> 3) Where is your ROOT.xml located?  To which <Host> does it belong?
The ROOT.xml is ${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/Parchment/kennet.int.intelligentspace.com.
It belongs to the kennet.int.intelligentspace.com <host>.

> 4) Have you deployed a separate Manager for each <Host>?
Yes.
${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/Parchment/kennet.int.intelligentspace.com/manager.xml.
There's another one in ${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/Catalina/localhost.

> 5) The antiJARLocking and antiResourceLocking aren't needed on Linux
> systems, and may be causing some odd interactions with the Manager.
Yeah, thanks. I noticed that after reading a few more docs and posts. I've
removed them.

> I haven't had any problems with undeploying the default app using a more
> typical Tomcat configuration, even when the .war is outside of the
> appBase directory.
>
> Is your ROOT.xml being deleted by the undeploy?  (It should be.)  You
> might try simplifying your setup and see what happens.
This is the problem I think. The ROOT.xml stays and redeploys the .war from the
docBase. Why doesn't it get removed?

I now have server.xml reconfigured without the webapps overlap on the two
<Host>'s but it still redeploys after undeploy. The context XML (ROOT.xml) is
also modified so the docBase=ispace/docbase.

For thoroughness, I tried a simplified server.xml with only one <Service> but
still have the same problem. Pasted below are both for perusal.

Thanks for your help

Tom
- ---

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">

  <GlobalNamingResources>
    <!-- Used by Manager webapp -->
              type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
          pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />
  </GlobalNamingResources>

  <Service name="Catalina">
    <Connector port="8080" />

    <!-- This is here for compatibility only, not required -->
    <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" />

             resourceName="UserDatabase" />
      <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps" />
    </Engine>

  </Service>

  <!-- Parchment Service Begin -->
  <Service name="Parchment">

    <Connector port="8010"
        protocol="AJP/1.3"
        enableLookups="false"
        redirectPort="8443"
        allowTrace="true"
        debug="20"/>

    <Engine name="Parchment"
defaultHost="kennetproject.int.intelligentspace.com" debug="20">

        <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RequestDumperValve"/>

        <!-- Define the global realm for Parchment -->
        <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm"
            debug="20"
            connectionName="xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
            connectionPassword="xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
            connectionURL="xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
            userPattern="xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
            roleBase="xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
            roleName="xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
            roleSearch="xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

        <Host name="kennetproject.int.intelligentspace.com"
            appBase="ispace/webapps/project"
            unpackWARs="true"
            debug="20">

            <Alias>kennetproject</Alias>

        </Host>
        <!-- project host End -->

    </Engine>

  </Service>
  <!-- Parchment Service End -->

</Server>

Context (ROOT.xml)
<Context docBase="${catalina.home}/ispace/docbase/projectpro.war"
    debug="16">

    <!-- JDBC resource -->
    <Resource name="jdbc/projects"
        auth="Container"
        type="javax.sql.DataSource"
        maxActive="10"
        maxIdle="5"
        maxWait="3000"
        username="xxxxxxx"
        password="xxxxxxx"
        driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"

url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/projects?zeroDateTimeBehavior=convertToNull"
        scope="Shareable"
        factory="org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"
    />

<!--
        factory="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"
- -->

    <!-- mail resource -->
    <Resource name="mail/default" auth="Container" type="javax.mail.Session"/>
    <!-- mail resource parameters -->
        <ResourceParams name="mail/default">
            <parameter>
                <name>mail.smtp.host</name>
                <value>localhost</value>
            </parameter>
        </ResourceParams>

    <!-- Environment -->
    <Environment name="passwords/db.salary.field.aes.key"
        value="xxxxxxxxxxxxx" type="java.lang.String" override="false"/>
</Context>

Alternative server.xml
<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">

  <GlobalNamingResources>
    <!-- Used by Manager webapp -->
              type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
          pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />
  </GlobalNamingResources>

  <Service name="Catalina">
    <Connector port="8080" />

    <!-- This is here for compatibility only, not required -->
    <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" />

    <Connector port="8010" protocol="AJP/1.3"
      enableLookups="false"
      redirectPort="8443"
      allowTrace="true"
      debug="20"/>

             resourceName="UserDatabase" />

      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm"
        debug="20"
        connectionName="xxxxxxx"
        connectionPassword="xxxxxxx"
        connectionURL="xxxxxxx"