tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: tomcat 4 history
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 03:03:19 GMT

"Petr Sumbera" <Petr.Sumbera@Sun.COM> wrote in message
news:4730919A.5030702@sun.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I'm lost between various versions of Tomcat and relations between them.
> Can you please help me to answer some questions?
>
> 1. What happened to Jakarta Tomcat 4.0 (last version I can see is 4.0.6)

It was superceded by 4.1.x :).

> 2. What is relation between Jakarta Tomcat 4.0 and Apache Tomcat 4.1? Are
> they compatible?

While TC 4.0 started out as a Revolution, TC 4.1 is an Evolution over that.
As Chris mentioned, they are compatible if you are only using the Servlet
2.3/JSP 1.2 APIs.  However, I don't believe that they are compatible if you
have custom Realms, Valves, etc.  But I think most of the time you just need
to recompile your custom component against 4.1.  Also, the 4.0 Connectors
are deprecated in 4.1 in favor of the Coyote Connectors.  So you shouldn't
expect to just copy over your server.xml file and have it work well.

> 3. Is Apache Tomcat 4.1 supported and all security problems are fixed
> there?

Tomcat 4.1 is supported (hey, we just shocked people yesterday telling them
that 3.3 is still supported :), mostly by Mark.  Since he also is mostly
updating the Tomcat security pages, I'm guessing that all of the known
security problems are fixed there, but I haven't done an audit (don't use it
in my day job anymore).