tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <>
Subject Re: Admin application in Tomcat 5.5 (dead?)
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 01:42:21 GMT
Even though this is the wrong question, I'll answer it anyway (below).

"Christopher Schultz" <> wrote in message
> All,
> For the first time ever, I have the need to use the Tomcat admin
> application: I have a project whose whole unit testing capability
> revolves around being able to deploy webapps for testing to a running
> Tomcat instance using the admin application.
> My understanding is that the admin app is basically dead.

For 5.5, it is likely that the admin app will continue to get basic
maintainace.  But, yes, at the moment there isn't any one with an interest
in putting a lot of work into it (the previous developer that worked on it
is now working on GlassFish I believe).

> I downloaded the admin app from the TC 5.5 download page and it doesn't
> run in a TC instance with nothing else in it:

The admin download assumes that CATALINA_HOME == CATALINA_BASE.  As a
result, it copies the admin.xml file to the wrong place.  The admin webapp
needs this so that it can run "privileged", and see the Tomcat internal
classes (including Registry).