tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jim Cox" <shakahsha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat hangs on writing JSP page to socket
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2007 19:03:11 GMT
On Nov 28, 2007 1:50 PM, Adam Feuer <adamfeuer1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We're getting intermittent problems where one tomcat thread hangs for up to
> 10 minutes writing JSP pages to a socket. We think the socket is an HTTP TCP
> socket. The stack trace from a thread dump for the hung thread is below.
>
> This happens multiple times per day at seemingly random intervals. We have
> not been able to reproduce this reliably and has been happening for as long
> as we have data (6+ months), so doesn't seem to be tied to a specific recent
> change.
>
> We run Struts 1.35, Tomcat 5.5.9, Linux 2.4.21 (Redhat) on four boxes behind
> a Netscaler load balancer. All boxes exhibit the same problem at different
> random intervals.
>
> Has anyone seen this problem? If so, do you know of a fix?
>
> -adam

FWIW, I've noticed similar behavior, but in my case it is easy to reproduce:
  1. use a browser to request a long-running and/or
large-page-producing web page ;
  2. abort the page load before it is done.

At that point I see the HTTP response thread blocked writing to the
(now closed) socket, with it timing out TCP-wise in about 8 min
(Solaris box, Tomcat 5.0.19, JDK 1.4.2_13).