tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sean Nagle" <s...@planet12.net>
Subject Can Tomcat be used as a servlet container for non-http servlets?
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:28:56 GMT
Where can I get more information about the design and use of Tomcat in
regards to non-http servlet applications? I tried searching in the mailing
list archives for "non http" and found this thread:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-dev/200004.mbox/%3c38F4C980.
CE17E8BA@eng.sun.com%3e

This thread was from April 2000 and Tomcat 3.x and the developers were still
trying to figure out the architecture of generic vs. http servlets.

I am interested in writing a servlet that would derive from GenericServlet
and I am wondering if I will be able to use Tomcat as the servlet container.
My application would doesn't have anything to do with email or ftp or the
like. What I would like to do is something similar to JSP but instead of the
response being html it would be instructions to run a CNC machine

Other google searches have not turned up much information about how to use
Tomcat in this way.

If it is not currently designed for such a purpose, would it be possible to
modify or extend Tomcat so that it would be able to?

Thanks in advance for any help

Sean Nagle