tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <hwadechandler-apa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: running! a servlet at tomcat startup
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2007 17:52:59 GMT
Shouldn't have a race condition on init. init should only be called one time before any client
connection is allowed to be served for the servlet. Now, if a process is kicked off in another
thread in init and proper locking isn't used and two things access resources or classes then
a race condition might ensue, but otherwise I don't see the exact problem. Proper locking
should always be used in code one writes or at least the APIs being used should be studied
enough to know how a given use case will impact them. If caching is handled as needed and
it is just a warm up prep of the cache then a single first connection will work fine. It depends
on exactly what is going on.

Wade

----- Original Message ----
From: Pid <p@pidster.com>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, November 5, 2007 12:08:25 PM
Subject: Re: running! a servlet at tomcat startup

Wade Chandler wrote:
> Yes, and in the listener I would then utilize some kind of other web
 client to actually perform a first request. You can use something like
 HttpClient or one of the command line text browsers and Runtime.exec.
 It would probably be easier than trying to simulate with some other
 means, but I may be wrong..especially if you already know what you are
 doing will work without having to have the extra client connection, but it
 would seem a lot less code to just have a config file you fill in and a
 client which makes a simple http web request.

I hope the populating of the cache is done programmatically, rather
 than
by making connections, because AFAIK the Context won't start serving
pages until it's finished starting up.

You could have a race condition if you're using a listener or a servlet
init() method, if your populating starts before the pages are
 available.