tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Yigal Lazarev" <>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6.0.14 and UTF-8 POST form problem
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2007 09:00:00 GMT
Thanks for the reply Chuck,
I read in the documentation that the default encoding in Tomcat for incoming
requests like from a form submission is Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1).
So the text in nameTextField (which is of type TextField) is UTF-8 text that
was 'treated' like Latin-1.
What I did is as suggested here:
to take the value (getValue() which returns an Object) and cast into String,
then take the bytes as Latin-1 and
construct a new String to return it to UTF-8.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've changed the code a bit and it looks like this:
String nameText = (String)nameTextField.getText();
String convText = new String(ntft.getBytes("ISO-8859-1"), "UTF-8");
             String subj = "קורות חיים של "+convText;
message.setSubject(subj, "utf-8");

getText() returns an Object so it has to be casted to String.
Still doesn't work.
Any suggestions are welcome..

On Nov 8, 2007 6:25 AM, Caldarale, Charles R <>